If you’re visiting Australia and mapping out where to go every few days, here are a few reasons and photographs to show why Tasmania is a place to visit.
1. Round trip fairs are some of the least expensive in Australia. Flying to Hobart from Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane should cost less than $200 RT on Jetstar. That’s a deal in Australia. Sydney to Hobart is less than a two hour flight. My Redspot car rental for four days in Tassie totaled less than $80 USD.
2. If you like road trips, Tassie offers some of Australia’s most scenic views. I drove Hobart to Freycinet National Park along Tasmania’s east coast. It was a remarkable experience. The coast line is pristine.
3. Seafood lovers in Australia know Tasmania offers the best fresh caught seafood in Australia. Although it may not be the culinary capital Melbourne is, Tassie sticks to the basics and you can’t beat the freshness. Oyster lovers will really enjoy it here.
4. Freycinet National Park was my destination og choice here and for good reason. The granite rock formations here stand out, especially at sunset. Wineglass Bay is the ultimate highlight here. It is considered one of the top beaches in the world. I had a remarkable stay at Freycinet Lodge, which is conveniently located to many of Freycinet’s best hotspots.
5. It is still not on major tourist radars. I’ve seen little chatter on social media about Tasmania. There’s something to be said about a place that still remains off the radar.
Hope these tidbits help you decide to possibly see Tasmania!
All images taken with Canon 5D Mark III. Self portraits taken with Manfrotto tripod.